– The Norfolk Admirals kicked off a five-game road trip last week with four points in four games. They will conclude the trip on Friday night in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton before returning home to face the Adirondack Phantoms on Saturday night at Norfolk Scope Arena.
The Admirals opened their five-game road trip on Wednesday in Albany, as six different Admirals netted goals in a 6-3 win over the Devils
. In game two of the trip, Norfolk had a 3-2 lead with two minutes to play but surrendered a pair of power play goals to Denis Hamel
in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Adirondack Phantoms on Friday
. The next night, the Admirals again carried a lead in the third period but fell in overtime, this time 3-2 to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
. On Sunday in Worcester, Paul Szczechura
scored Norfolk's lone goal in a 3-1 setback to the Sharks
The Admirals will spend a few days practicing in Norfolk before concluding their road trip on Friday night against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. They will then return to Scope on Saturday night for a 7:15 p.m. matchup against the Adirondack Phantoms. That game is United States Marine Corps Night
and will also feature an appearance from Washington Redskins all-time great Chris Hanburger
. For more details, please see below.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 7-4-3-1 (18 points), the Admirals are currently fourth in the American Hockey League’s East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (11-2-0-0, 22 pts) lead the division and are followed by the Hershey Bears (9-5-0-1) and Charlotte Checkers (8-7-1-2) in second place with 19 points each. Following the Admirals are the Binghamton Senators (7-7-1-1, 16 pts), Syracuse Crunch (6-5-1-2, 15 pts), Albany Devils (6-8-0-0, 12 pts) and Adirondack Phantoms (3-12-1-0, 7 pts). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Nov. 19… at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:05 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 20… vs. Adirondack Phantoms (Philadelphia Flyers) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Paul Szczechura: 4GP, 3G, 2A, 5PTS
- Eighteen of 21 skaters to have appeared in a game for Norfolk over the past week registered at least one point, led by Paul Szczechura’s five points (3G, 2A).
- Johan Harju made his NHL debut on Friday with the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Blair Jones had a six-game point streak (3G, 6A) with the Admirals end on Friday night in Adirondack.
- Mike Vernace, who scored his first goal as an Admiral on Friday in Adirondack and followed that with another goal on Saturday in Bridgeport, recorded goals in consecutive games for the first time in his 244-game AHL career.
- Norfolk has gone to overtime in five of its last eight games with one win in a shootout, three overtime losses and one shootout loss.
- Norfolk and Worcester have already concluded their 2010-11 regular season series with each team claiming two victories on home ice.
- The Admirals are 5-2-1-1 all-time at Norfolk Scope Arena and 2-7-0-0 all-time at the DCU Center against the Worcester Sharks.
- Six of the last eight games between Norfolk and Bridgeport have gone to overtime and seven of the last nine games between the teams have been decided by one goal.
- In their last ten head-to-head meetings, neither Norfolk nor Bridgeport has scored more than three goals in a game.
Center Paul Szczechura
netted three goals and added two assists to lead Norfolk in scoring in four road games last week. With his three tallies last week, Szczechura now has a team-leading eight goals on the season. His 15 points rank third on the team.
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour
this afternoon at 4:00 p.m. on the new radio home of the Admirals – "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. “The Voice of the Admirals
” Pete Michaud will be joined by Head Coach Jon Cooper
in the studios taking your calls. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS NIGHT
Join us for United States Marine Corps Night on Saturday, November 20, as the Admirals take on the Adirondack Phantoms at 7:15 p.m. All active duty and retired members of the U.S. Marine Corps (and their dependents) may purchase $10 Red Level Tickets (normally $14) for this game at norfolkadmirals.com. Click here for more information or to purchase tickets
2011 NFL HALL OF FAME NOMINEE & FORMER REDSKIN CHRIS HANBURGER APPEARANCE
Former Pro Bowl Washington Redskins linebacker Chris Hanburger will appear at the Admirals game on Saturday, November 20. Hanburger will sign autographs and pose for pictures with fans. More details will be available as the game approaches.
PARKING INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY'S GAME
Admirals fans are advised to allow plenty of extra time to get to Saturday's game at Scope against the Adirondack Phantoms. In addition to the game, Saturday is the Norfolk Grand Illumination Parade and there is a sold out show at Chrysler Hall. The City of Norfolk is offering an early bird parking special to encourage patrons to arrive early. From 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 20, patrons can park at any city-owned, attendant-operated parking facility in Downtown for just $1. At 5:00 p.m., special event rates ($5) will be in effect. Please click here for more details
Goals: Paul Szczechura
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
PP goals: Johan Harju
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: Mathieu Roy
+/- Rating: Chris Durno
, Radko Gudas
PIM: Pierre-Cedric Labrie
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Cedrick Desjardins
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Tim Wallace
Assists: Dustin Jeffrey
Points: Dustin Jeffrey
PP goals: Nick Johnson
, Tim Wallace
SH Goals: Dustin Jeffrey
, Joe Vitale
+/- Rating: Chris Collins
, Joe Vitale
PIM: Robert Bortuzzo
GAA: Brad Thiessen
Spct: Brad Thiessen
Wins: Brad Thiessen
Losses: John Curry
GPI: Brad Thiessen
Minutes: Brad Thiessen
Goals: Denis Hamel
Assists: Erik Gustafsson
Points: Erik Gustafsson
PP goals: Denis Hamel
+/- Rating: Matt Clackson
PIM: Zac Rinaldo
GAA: Johan Backlund
Spct: Johan Backlund
Wins: Johan Backlund
Losses: Johan Backlund
GPI: Johan Backlund
Minutes: Johan Backlund
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
November 12, 2010
DELETE F Marc-Antoine Pouliot
– Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
DELETE F Johan Harju
– Returned on loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
November 15, 2010
ADD F Marc-Antoine Pouliot
– Returned on loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2010-11 season tickets today. Affordable monthly payment plans are available for a limited time only! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com