– Last week, the Norfolk Admirals moved within three points of the best record in the American Hockey League as they picked up five of a possible six points – including a pair of victories over the league-leading Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. This week, the Admirals will host the Albany Devils at Scope on Friday and Saturday before taking a week off for the Holiday Break.
On Wednesday night at Scope, Marc-Antoine Pouliot
scored twice to fuel an Admirals third-period rally, but the rally came up just short as the Admirals were defeated by the Syracuse Crunch 4-3 in overtime
. Friday night, Alex Berry
registered a career-high three points and Dustin Tokarski
stopped 33 shots as the Admirals took the first of two games from the Penguins with a 4-2 decision at Scope
. On Saturday night, Radko Gudas
and Mark Barberio
each scored their first professional goals as the Admirals overcame an early third period rally and defeated the Penguins 7-4
The Admirals will return to the ice Friday and Saturday night to face the Albany Devils at Norfolk Scope. Friday night is Tidewater Council Boy Scout Night. Saturday night is Toy Toss Night, Post-Game Skate Night, Trading Card Night and Holiday Ornament Auction Night. For more details on all of these promotions, please see below.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 17-6-4-1 (39 pts.) the Admirals are in second place in the East Division. The Admirals trail the division-leading Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at (21-6-0-0, 42 pts.) by three points. The Charlotte Checkers (15-9-1-3, 34 pts.), Hershey Bears (16-10-0-1, 33 pts.), Binghamton Senators (12-12-2-2, 28 pts.), Albany Devils (11-16-0-0, 22 pts.), Syracuse Crunch (9-14-1-3, 22 pts.) and Adirondack Phantoms (4-22-2-0, 10 pts.) wrap-up the division. Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Dec 17 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Dec. 18 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Blair Jones: 3GP, 0G, 4A, 4PTS
- At 17-6-4-1 (39 points), the Admirals now trail Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (21-6-0-0, 42 points) by only three points for the best record in the AHL. The Penguins have one game in hand.
- Norfolk has standings points in six straight games (5-0-1-0) and has won ten of its last 13 games (10-2-1-0).
- Norfolk is now the only AHL team without back-to-back regulation losses this season after handing Wilkes-Barre/Scranton a 4-2 loss at Scope on Friday and a 7-4 loss at the Mohegan Sun Arena on Saturday.
- The Admirals are 3-0-0-0 against the Penguins this season and account for exactly half of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's losses in 2010-11. Only Norfolk (3) and Binghamton (2) have defeated Wilkes-Barre/Scranton multiple times this season.
- Norfolk has scored five or more goals in 11 of 28 games this season – including eight games with seven or more goals and five games with seven goals scored.
- In the 240 games from the 2007-08 to 2009-10 seasons, the Admirals scored seven or more goals only four times (1.7%). They have already done so five times through 28 games of 2010-11 (17.9%).
- Norfolk has eight different skaters with at least eight goals this season – most in the American Hockey League: Johan Harju (13), Blair Jones (9), Matt Fornataro (9), Paul Szczechura (9), Mike Angelidis (9), Marc-Antoine Pouliot (8), Chris Durno (8) and Alex Berry (8).
- The Admirals also have five players with at least 20 points this season – tied for the most in the American Hockey League: Blair Jones (24), Marc-Antoine Pouliot (24), Johan Harju (23), Matt Fornataro (21) and Paul Szczechura (21).
- Saturday night's game in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton set a new franchise record for most Norfolk penalty minutes (124), most opponent penalty minutes (111) and most combined penalty minutes (235) in an AHL Admirals game.
- With an overtime loss on Wednesday vs. Syracuse, Cedrick Desjardins saw his six-game overall winning streak end just one victory short of tying the AHL Admirals franchise record.
- Desjardins rebounded with a victory on Saturday in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to extend his franchise record road-winning streak to seven games. The streak began with a 4-1 win against the Penguins on November 19.
- Desjardins had played ten straight road games between home starts on October 29 vs. Portland and December 8 vs. Syracuse. He went 8-2-0 in those road starts.
quietly registered four points last week as the Admirals went 2-0-1-0. He notched two third period assists on Wednesday as the Admirals erased a 3-0 deficit in an eventual 4-3 overtime loss to the Syracuse Crunch. After going scoreless with a plus-2 rating in a 4-2 win at home against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Friday, Jones once again notched a pair of assists on Saturday as the Admirals completed the home-and-home sweep of the Penguins with a 7-4 win.
Jones is now tied for the team lead in scoring with 24 points on nine goals and 15 assists. His three game-winning goals are tied for third in the AHL while his plus-12 rating is tied for 13th in the AHL.
TIDEWATER COUNCIL BOY SCOUT NIGHT
Friday night is Scout Night through the Tidewater Boy Scout Council. Special discounted tickets are available via advance tickets before Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. All units purchasing tickets will be recognized on the Scope video boards. Visit norfolkadmirals.com for more information
TOY TOSS TO BENEFIT U.S. MARINE CORPS TOYS FOR TOTS
On Saturday night, the annual Toy Toss will take place. Fans are asked to bring new stuffed toys to the game and after the Admirals score their first goal, all fans will be allowed to toss the toys onto the ice. The Admirals Toy Toss benefits the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots. Visit norfolkadmirals.com for more information
TRADING CARD GIVE AWAY
Fans entering Scope Saturday night prior to the game will receive the first set of Admirals Trading cards. Visit norfolkadmirals.com for more information
PLAYERS WIVES/GIRLFRIENDS HOLIDAY ORNAMENT AUCTION
Also for the game Saturday night, the players' wives/girlfriends will hold their annual holiday ornament auction to benefit the Joy Fund. Custom-designed ornaments will be up for silent auction throughout the game. The ornaments are designed by the wives/girlfriends and are made to reflect the interest of Admirals and Lightning players. For more information on the Joy Fund, visit thevirginianpilot.com/joyfund. Visit norfolkadmirals.com for more information on the ornaments
POST GAME SKATE
After the game Saturday night, the Admirals will host their second post-game skate of the season. Fans can skate on the ice with some of their favorite Admirals players following the game. Fans may bring their own skates or a limited number of skates will be available. Visit norfolkadmirals.com for more information
ADMIRALS HOLIDAY GIFT PACKS AND 10-PACKS
You’re sure to score with your family and friends this holiday season with Admirals Holiday Gift Packs and Admirals Holiday 10-Packs. Click here to order now!
Admiral Holiday Gift Packs include an Admirals magnet, jersey keychain, foam glove, four Admirals ticket vouchers and $10 in Admirals Hockey Bucks to be used for concessions, tickets and/or merchandise. The Admirals Holiday Gift Pack is valued at $78 but is available now for only $50!
Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are also now available. On top of the great value and flexibility always built into Admirals 10-Packs, you now also get an Admirals hat and an Admirals player-autographed puck. Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are available for as little as $125.
Admirals 10-Packs offer a flexible and affordable way to watch Admirals hockey at Scope. 10-Packs consist of ten undated ticket vouchers at $1 off the gate price. These vouchers may be redeemed at the Scope Box Office anytime for tickets to any 2010-11 Admirals regular season home game.
You can use all ten vouchers for ten tickets to one game, spread them out for a single ticket over ten different games, or anywhere in-between. Plus, there are no ticket fees and you save $10 over the life of the ten pack off the regular ticket price.
10-Pack vouchers may be exchanged for game tickets as far in advance as you like. So if you have a list of games you know you will attend, take the 10-Pack vouchers to the Scope Box Office today and redeem them for the seats of your choice (based upon availability) for the games of your choice.
Limited Admirals Holiday Gift Packs and Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are available, so get yours today. You can purchase them at the Admirals Center Ice Souvenir Stand during Admirals games, via phone at (757) 640-1212 or online at the merchandise page on norfolkadmirals.com
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Blair Jones
, Marc-Antoine Pouliot
PP goals: Johan Harju
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: Mathieu Roy
, James Wright
+/- Rating: Radko Gudas
PIM: Pierre-Cedric Labrie
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Cedrick Desjardins
, Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Matt Anderson
Assists: Tyler Eckford
, Vladimir Zharkov
Points: Matt Anderson
, Vladimir Zharkov
Games: David McIntyre
PP goals: Vladimir Zharkov
SH Goals: Michael Swift
+/- Rating: Mark Fayne
PIM: Louis Robitaille
GAA: Jeff Frazee
Spct: Jeff Frazee
Wins: Jeff Frazee
Losses: Jeff Frazee
GPI: Jeff Frazee
Minutes: Jeff Frazee
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
December 12, 2010
ADD F Marc-Antoine Pouliot
- Returned on loan from Tampa Bay (NHL)
December 10, 2010
DELETE F Marc-Antoine Pouliot
- Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
December 9, 2010
DELETE F Juraj Simek
- Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
ADD F Levi Nelson
- Loaned from Tampa Bay (NHL)
December 8, 2010
ADD F Pierre-Cedric Labrie
– Signed to Standard Players Contract (SPC)
Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2010-11 season tickets today. Affordable monthly payment plans are available for a limited time only! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com