– The Norfolk Admirals will return home this upcoming weekend in hopes of posting their first victory of 2011. The Admirals find themselves mired in a five-game winless streak and look to rebound against the Connecticut Whale on Friday and Saturday at Scope.
Last week, the Admirals suffered four setbacks at the hands of the division rivals. On Tuesday night, the Admirals scored late in the third period to send the game into overtime but scored only once in a shootout as the Checkers skated away with a 3-2 victory
. In the rematch on Thursday evening, Mike Angelidis
had three points, including a third period goal but it was not enough as the Checkers Drayson Bowman
scored 25 seconds into overtime as the Checkers skated away with a 4-3 victory
. On New Year's Day, despite goals by Troy Milam
and Marc-Antoine Pouliot
in the third period, the Admirals opened up 2011 with a 4-3 regulation loss against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
. To wrap-up the quick two-game road trip, the Admirals traveled to Hershey on Sunday, but could not solve Bears goaltender Braden Holtby
as the Bears shut out the Admirals 2-0
The Admirals return home Friday and Saturday night in hopes of returning to their winning ways. Friday night's game against the Connecticut Whale will be Zamboni Bank Giveaway night courtesy of JPM Financial Services, John's Tax Service, and WAVY-TV 10 & Fox43. Saturday night's rematch with the Whale will be Special Olympics Night at Norfolk Scope.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 18-9-6-2 (44 pts.) the Admirals are tied for second place in the East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (26-8-0-0, 52 pts.) lead the division and the entire AHL. The Admirals are tied with the Charlotte Checkers (20-11-1-3, 44 pts.) for second place. Behind the Admirals and Checkers are the Hershey Bears (21-13-0-1, 43 pts.) and the Binghamton Senators (16-16-2-2, 36 pts.). Wrapping up the division are the Syracuse Crunch (14-18-1-3, 32 pts.), Albany Devils (13-19-0-2, 28 pts.), and Adirondack Phantoms (10-25-2-0, 22 pts.). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Jan. 7 … vs. Connecticut Whale (New York Rangers) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Jan. 8 … vs. Connecticut Whale (New York Rangers) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ZAMBONI BANK GIVEAWAY NIGHT
- Norfolk is winless in five games following the holiday break (0-3-1-1).
- The Charlotte Checkers have tied the Admirals for second place in the AHL’s East Division while the Hershey Bears are now only one point behind Charlotte and Norfolk.
- The Admirals became the final AHL team to lose back-to-back games in regulation in 2010-11 following regulation losses at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Saturday and Hershey on Sunday.
- On Sunday in Hershey, the Admirals were shut out for just the second time in 2010-11 (November 28 at Bridgeport).
- On Sunday, goaltender Cedrick Desjardins was returned to the Admirals by the Tampa Bay Lightning. Desjardins went 2-0-0 in his first NHL call-up, winning his first two NHL starts with a 1.00 goals-against average and .964 save percentage.
- On Saturday, the Lightning acquired goaltender Dwayne Roloson from the New York Islanders in exchange for former Admirals defenseman Ty Wishart.
- The Admirals tied a season high with three power play goals on Saturday at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (October 23 at Albany).
- The road team has won each of the first six games between Norfolk and Charlotte this season with the Admirals taking two games in North Carolina and the Checkers claiming all four games in Virginia so far.
- Thursday night's attendance at Norfolk Scope Arena for the Admirals game vs. Charlotte was a season-high 5,055.
- Norfolk's attendance is up 18% when comparing October through December 2009 (average attendance: 3356) to October through December 2010 (average attendance: 3955).
- The Admirals have drawn six crowds over 4,000 through the end of December this season in 13 games. Last season, they only drew 4,000 or more fans in two of 15 games before the end of December.
On Friday Jan. 7th, the first 750 kids ages 14 and under through the gates will receive an Admirals Zamboni Bank courtesy of JPM Financial Services, John's Tax Service WAVY-10 and Fox43. Click here for more details
SPECIAL OLYMPICS NIGHT AT NORFOLK SCOPE
Special Olympics night presented by SunTrust is January 8th as the Admirals square-off against the Whale. For a limited time, Red Level Tickets for the event are available for only $10 – you save $4 per ticket. Plus, a portion of the proceeds will go to Special Olympics of Virginia. To receive the discounted tickets fans must purchase the tickets before Saturday, January 8th. These tickets can be upgraded to Gold Level seating for an additional $3. Click here for more details or to purchase tickets
The event will feature in-game demonstrations by local Olympians, a ceremonial puck drop, an honor guard, raffle prizes, a Dream Team and much more. Bring your family and friends and join us for an evening of action-packed entertainment while supporting our local Olympic athletes!
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour
on Tuesday afternoons at 4:00 p.m. on the home of the Admirals – "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. “The Voice of the Admirals” Pete Michaud
will be joined by special call-in guests Admirals Captain Chris Durno
and former Admirals Head Coach Trent Yawney
. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Matt Fornataro
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Johan Harju
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Chris Durno
PIM: Pierre-Cedric Labrie
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Jeremy Williams
Assists: Kris Newbury
Points: Kris Newbury
PP goals: Jeremy Williams
SH Goals: Kris Newbury
+/- Rating: Pavel Valentenko
PIM: Devin DiDiomete
GAA: Cameron Talbot
Spct: Cameron Talbot
Wins: Chad Johnson
Losses: Chad Johnson
GPI: Chad Johnson
Minutes: Chad Johnson
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
January 3, 2011
DEL G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) to Florida (ECHL)
January 1, 2011
ADD G Cedrick Desjardins
– Returned on loan from Tampa Bay (NHL)
DEL D Ty Wishart
– Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Take advantage of great savings on Admirals tickets with our 10-Packs and group tickets. 10-Packs are available for as little as $110 and allow you to pick the games you want. Group tickets start at $10 for groups of 25 or more people. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com