– With only eight games remaining in the regular season, the Admirals will continue their push for a return to the Calder Cup Playoffs with their final three home games of the regular season. The Admirals, currently three points behind third place in the East Division, will begin the final homestand of the season on Wednesday night against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and then conclude it with back-to-back contests against the Hershey Bears on Friday and Saturday.
Last week, Norfolk split four games. Mathieu Roy
and Mike Angelidis
scored just over two minutes apart, while Dustin Tokarski
turned aside 32 shots as the Admirals defeated the Adirondack Phantoms 2-1
on Wednesday night. On Friday night, the Admirals were shut out for just the second time this season at home as they suffered a 4-0 defeat to the Manchester Monarchs
. In the rematch between the Admirals and the Monarchs on Saturday night, Troy Milam
and Chris Durno
scored 38 seconds part in the third period, as the Admirals came from behind to defeat the Monarchs 2-1
. In Charlotte on Sunday night, Paul Szczechura
and Mike Angelidis
each scored their 19th goal of the season, but that wasn't enough as the Admirals dropped an 8-2 decision to the Checkers
The Admirals will conclude their regular season home schedule with three games in four nights against East Division rivals. On Wednesday night, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins will travel to Scope in the final Admirals Value Night including Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust, and Student Rush Tickets. On Friday and Saturday nights, the Hershey Bears will travel to Scope. Friday night's matchup will be American Red Cross Night with discounted fundraising tickets available for advance purchase at norfolkadmirals.com. The home finale on Saturday night will be Fan Appreciation Night – including a pre-game party on the plaza beginning at 4:30 p.m. For more details, please see below or visit norfolkadmirals.com.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
The Norfolk Admirals (37-21-8-6, 88 points, 8 games remaining) are in fourth place in the AHL's East Division. The Wilkes-Barre-Scranton Penguins (52-20-0-1, 105 points, 7 games remaining) have clinched the top spot in the East Division. Norfolk trails the second-place Hershey Bears (43-24-3-5, 94 points, 5 games remaining) by six points, while the Charlotte Checkers (41-25-2-7, 91 pts., 5 games remaining) are in third place, three points in front of Norfolk. The Admirals have three games in hand on both the Bears and the Checkers. Norfolk holds a single-point lead over fifth-place Binghamton Senators (40-27-3-4, 87 points, 6 games remaining), with two games in hand. Wrapping-up the East Division are the Syracuse Crunch (30-36-3-4, 67 points) Albany Devils (30-37-1-4, 65 points), and Adirondack Phantoms (26-36-4-6, 62 points).
The top four spots in the East Division are guaranteed to qualify for the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs. The crossover rule is in effect where if the fifth place team in the East Division has more points than the fourth place team in the Atlantic Division, that team will cross over into the Atlantic Division Semifinals.
QUICK LINKS: Standings
| 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs Qualification Rules
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Wed., Mar. 30 …vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Fri., Apr. 1 … vs. Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Apr. 2 … vs. Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS VALUE NIGHTS
- Yesterday, forward Alex Berry was named Norfolk's winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Hampton Roads community during the 2010-11 season.
- After registering an assist on Sunday night in his return from the Tampa Bay Lightning, Blair Jones is now only four points away from tying Ajay Baines as the all-time leading point scorer in AHL Admirals history. He has recorded 63 goals and 108 assists for 171 points in 266 games with Norfolk from the 2007-08 season to the present. Baines recorded 68 goals and 107 assists for 175 points in 409 games with Norfolk from 2000-01 - 2005-06.
- Troy Milam recorded his 13th goal of the season on Saturday vs. Manchester, tying Marty Wilford's 2002-03 campaign for the second-most goals in a single season by a defenseman in AHL Admirals history. Milam sits three goals behind Dustin Byfuglien's AHL Admirals record 16-goal season in 2006-07.
- On Sunday vs. Charlotte, the Admirals recorded the most goals allowed (8) and the worst margin of defeat (6) in the 2010-11 season.
- The Admirals are 4-4-2-1 through 11 of 12 games of the season series with the Checkers, which ends on April 4 in Charlotte.
- The Admirals were shut out for just the fourth time this season on Friday night as they suffered a 4-0 defeat at the hands of the Manchester Monarchs.
- The Admirals play their final three home games of the regular season on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at Scope. Norfolk ranks sixth in the AHL on home ice (19-8-5-5).
- Norfolk will seek its fourth win of 2010-11 against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Wednesday night. Norfolk recorded four or more wins in each season against the Penguins from 2007-08 to 2009-10 after combining for only seven wins against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton from 2004-05 to 2006-07.
- The Admirals will conclude the regular season next week with a five-game road trip, which includes stops in Charlotte, Binghamton, Syracuse(2), and Connecticut
- Earlier today, the Admirals signed goaltender Pat Nagle to an Amateur Tryout Contract (ATO). Nagle signed a two-year, entry-level deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning last week.
Wednesday night is the final Admirals Value Night at Norfolk Scope this season. Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust
, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 – that’s a savings of $37!
Student Rush Nights
provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID.
When purchased in advance, Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com. When purchased on the day of the game, Family Fun Packs are only available at the Scope Box Office. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
AMERICAN RED CROSS NIGHT
Join us on American Red Cross Night
for a night of fast-paced, action-packed, hard-hitting entertainment as the Admirals take on the Hershey Bears on Friday, April 1 at 7:30 p.m. at Norfolk Scope Arena.
For a limited time and only at norfolkadmirals.com, you can purchase $10 Red Level Tickets for the game - that's a savings of $4 per ticket! Proceeds benefit the American Red Cross. Tickets may also be upgraded to Gold Level for an extra $3. Click here to buy tickets
. Online ticket sales will close at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 31, 2011
. For more information, contact Millie Lomax at (757) 640-1212 ext. 11.
FAN APPRECIATION NIGHT
The Admirals will conclude the home portion of the regular season on Saturday night, April 2, by thanking the most important members of the team – the fans – with Fan Appreciation Night. Come out for an exciting night of hockey and you may leave with exciting prizes!
Beginning at 4:30 p.m., Admirals fans are invited to a pre-game party outside on the plaza at Norfolk Scope Arena, including music and games for the whole family. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
THIS WEEK ON THE MICHAEL AND SON ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Michael and Son Admirals Hour today at 4:00 p.m. on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. "The Voice of the Admirals" Pete Michaud and Admirals Hall of Famer "The Original Admiral" Dennis McEwen will be joined via telephone by Admirals Head Coach Jon Cooper
. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Mike Angelidis
PIM: Mike Angelidis
GAA: Dustin Tokarski
Spct: Dustin Tokarski
Wins: Dustin Tokarski
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
Goals: Brett Sterling
Assists: Dustin Jeffrey
Points: Brett Sterling
Games: Zach Sill
PP goals: Nick Johnson
SH Goals: Dustin Jeffrey
+/- Rating: Corey Potter
PIM: Jesse Boulerice
GAA: Brad Thiessen
Spct: Brad Thiessen
Wins: Brad Thiessen
Losses: John Curry
GPI: Brad Thiessen
Minutes: Brad Thiessen
Goals: Brian Willsie
Assists: Keith Aucoin
Points: Keith Aucoin
, Brian Willsie
Games: Brian Willsie
PP goals: Andrew Gordon
, Brian Willsie
SH Goals: Jay Beagle
+/- Rating: Sean Collins
PIM: Steve Pinizzotto
GAA: Braden Holtby
Spct: Braden Holtby
Wins: Braden Holtby
, Dany Sabourin
Losses: Braden Holtby
, Dany Sabourin
GPI: Braden Holtby
Minutes: Braden Holtby
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
March 29, 2011
– ADD G Pat Nagle
– Signed to Amateur Tryout Contract (ATO)
March 28, 2011
– DELETE G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) to Florida (ECHL)
March 27, 2011
– ADD F Blair Jones
– Returned on loan from Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are now available! Low monthly payments available for a limited time only. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com