– After winning their first four games of the 2012-13 season, the Norfolk Admirals will set sail for St. John's, Newfoundland, this weekend for a pair of contests against the St. John's IceCaps.
Last weekend, the Admirals claimed a pair of wins over the Connecticut Whale at Norfolk Scope Arena. Corey Elkins
completed a hat trick by scoring his third goal of the game with 29.2 seconds left in overtime as the Admirals defeated the Whale, 5-4
, on Friday night. The next day, Norfolk netted three power play and two shorthanded goals as they topped Connecticut, 6-3
. The Admirals improved to 4-0-0-0 for just the second time in the team's 13-season AHL history.
The Admirals now embark on their first road trip of the 2012-13 season, with games against the St. John's IceCaps on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
The Admirals and Bridgeport Sound Tigers (3-0-0-0) are the only remaining undefeated teams in the AHL. Norfolk trails the Syracuse Crunch (4-0-0-1) by one point for the lead in the East Division and Eastern Conference:
Can't see the above standings? Visit theahl.com
Eight teams in each conference shall qualify for the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs. Following the conclusion of each team's 76-game regular season, the three division winners in each conference will be seeded first through third (in order of regular-season points) and the next five best teams (in order of regular-season points) will be seeded fourth through eighth.
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Sat., Oct. 27 … at St. John's IceCaps (Winnipeg Jets) … 6:00 p.m. EDT
Sun., Oct. 28 … at St. John's IceCaps (Winnipeg Jets) … 2:30 p.m. EDT
- The Admirals have tied their franchise record for the longest winning streak to start an AHL season. The 2010-11 Norfolk squad also began the season 4-0-0-0.
- The Admirals lead the American Hockey League in offense at 4.75 goals-per-game (19 goals in four games played).
- Ten different players have scored goals for Norfolk through its first four games – tied for the third-most different goal scorers in the AHL this season and tied for first in the Eastern Conference.
- Kyle Palmieri (2g, 4a) and Peter Holland (2g, 3a) each have points in all four of Norfolk's games.
- Nate Guenin is tied for the AHL lead in plus/minus at +7.
- Sami Vatanen (1g, 5a) is tied for second in points and assists by a defenseman in the AHL.
- The Admirals have scored first in all four games of their season, with each goal coming in the first five minutes of the game.
- Corey Elkins is the first AHL Admiral to complete a hat trick in overtime when his third goal of the game on Friday came with 29.2 seconds remaining in overtime as Norfolk topped Connecticut, 5-4.
- Elkins became the third AHL Admirals player to record a hat trick for his first three Norfolk goals, joining Andy Hilbert (November 30, 2005 vs. Binghamton) and Trevor Smith (October 21, 2011 vs. Binghamton).
- The following firsts occurred in Saturday's win vs. Connecticut:
- Norfolk is now 10-0-0-1-0 in its last 11 regular season games against Connecticut/Hartford.
CAPTAIN Nate Guenin IS THIS WEEK'S ADMIRALS HOUR GUEST
- The Admirals play the St. John's IceCaps on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon in Canada. St. John's is the top development club of the NHL's Winnipeg Jets.
- Norfolk and St. John's last met during the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, with the Admirals claiming the best-of-seven Eastern Conference Finals in four games.
- Nine players on Norfolk's current roster saw action against the IceCaps during the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs as members of the Syracuse Crunch, with St. John's coming out on top of the best-of-five Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series, three games to one.
- Twenty-one of the 28 players on St. John's current roster are returning from 2011-12.
- The IceCaps (2-2-0-0, T-2nd Atlantic Division, T-7th Eastern Conference) opened the season with a split of road contests in Springfield and Connecticut before splitting a pair of home games against Adirondack last weekend. They face off against the Portland Pirates tonight and tomorrow night at home.
- St. John's ranks T-20th in offense (2.50 GPG), T-11th in defense (2.75 GAPG), 16th on the power play (4/21, 19.0%) and 22nd on the penalty kill (15/20, 75.0%) this season.
- Four different players lead the IceCaps in scoring with three points in four games: D Zach Redmond (2G, 1A), RW Spencer Machacek (1G, 2A), LW Hunter Tremblay (1G, 2A) and C Alex Burmistrov (3A).
- Goaltender Eddie Pasquale has started three of St. John's four games, going 1-2-0 with a 3.05 goals-against average and .908 save percentage. Mark Dekanich, who played for the Springfield Falcons last season, is 1-0-0 with a 2.00 GAA and .946 SV%.
- The IceCaps are the least-penalized team in the AHL, averaging only 11.75 penalty minutes per game.
The Admirals Hour, presented by Michael and Son, airs on Tuesdays from 4-5 p.m. on 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. This week, Admirals Captain Nate Guenin
will join "The Voice of the Admirals" Pete Michaud and "The Original Admiral" Dennis McEwen. To join in the conversation, call (757) 490-2750.
SALVATION ARMY NIGHT
The Admirals return to Scope on Friday and Saturday, November 2 and 3, to square off against the Binghamton Senators. Friday night's game is Salvation Army Fundraiser Night. Please visit norfolkadmirals.com/groups for information about ordering discounted fundraising tickets to benefit The Salvation Army. These tickets may only be ordered online and may only be ordered through Thursday, November 1.
Goals: Corey Elkins
, Patrick Maroon
Assists: Sami Vatanen
Points: Kyle Palmieri
, Sami Vatanen
PP goals: Patrick Maroon
SH Goals: Troy Bodie
, Chris Wagner
+/- Rating: Nate Guenin
PIM: Troy Bodie
GAA: Frederik Andersen
Spct: Frederik Andersen
Wins: Frederik Andersen
, Igor Bobkov
GPl: Frederik Andersen
, Igor Bobkov
Minutes: Igor Bobkov
ST. JOHN'S LEADERS
Goals: Maxime Macenauer
, Zach Redmond
Assists: Alex Burmistrov
Points: Alex Burmistrov
, Spencer Machacek
, Zach Redmond
, Hunter Tremblay
PP goals: Zach Redmond
+/- Rating: Dean Arsene
PIM: Dean Arsene
, Maxime Macenauer
GAA: Mark Dekanich
Spct: Mark Dekanich
Wins: Mark Dekanich
, Eddie Pasquale
Losses: Eddie Pasquale
GPI: Eddie Pasquale
Minutes: Eddie Pasquale
Individual tickets are on sale now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com
. Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com