NORFOLK – After starting the season on the road picking up three of four points, the Admirals opened up their home schedule with a bang in the first period last Friday. The Admirals scored five goals in the opening frame against Binghamton, which included a hat trick by defenseman Alex Grant. Binghamton's comeback hopes were turned aside by Admirals goaltender Frederik Andersen who stopped all 33 shots faced in the game to preserve the 5-0 Admirals victory in the home opener.
On Saturday, Binghamton turned the tables on the Admirals picking up a 4-1 victory. The Senators stormed out of the gates and took advantage of some Admirals mistakes and turnovers. Rickard Rakell scored the lone goal of the game for the Admirals. The goal was the third of the season for the Admirals rookie forward. Goaltender John Gibson took the loss for Norfolk stopping 27 of shots 30 faced in the game.
The Admirals (2-1-0-1, 5pts.) currently sit second in the East Division and sixth overall in the conference.
Note: Standings and information below include results from Albany's 4-1 win vs. Adirondack on Monday afternoon (Oct. 14)
Eight teams in each conference shall qualify for the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs. Following the conclusion of each team's 76-game regular season, the three division winners in each conference will be seeded first through third (in order of regular-season points) and the next five best teams (in order of regular-season points) will be seeded fourth through eighth.
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Oct. 18 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:30 p.m. EDT at Scope
Sat., Oct. 19 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:15 p.m. EDT at Scope
· The Admirals have garnered points in three of their four games played this season.
· Alex Grant became the second Admirals defenseman to record a hat trick. Duncan Keith netted a hat trick on February 18, 2005 against Hershey.
· Grant recorded his hat trick in the first period of Friday's game. The last Admirals player to score three goals in the same period was James Wright on March 11, 2011 against Binghamton.
· The Admirals five-goal first period on Friday, matched the team record for most goals in a period at home.
· Peter Holland scored his 50th professional goal on Friday against Binghamton.
· Norfolk's Zack Stortini leads the AHL in penalty minutes (43), and major penalties (5).
· Alex Grant leads the AHL in power play goals with (3), and is second in the league in shots (18)
· Charlie Sarault leads the AHL In power play assists (4).
· Devante Smith-Pelly leads the AHL in shorthanded goals (2).
· Frederik Andersen's 33-save shutout on Friday was the fifth of his career.
· Defenseman Kevin Gagne logged his first multi-point game of his career on Friday (2 assists).
· Norfolk is now 9-4-1-0-0 all-time in home openers since joining the AHL.
· The Admirals play the Albany Devils on Friday and Saturday night at Scope. Albany is the top development club of the NHL's New Jersey Devils.
· Norfolk and Albany last met on April 20, 2013. Albany defeated Norfolk 2-0 in the contest. Ten current Admirals players played in that game.
· Forward Rod Pelley, who played for the Admirals last season, currently plays for Albany. Pelley re-signed with the Devils organization in the offseason. Pelley has logged an assist in three games played this season with the Devils. Last season, Pelley totaled ten points (3g, 7a) in 60 games played with the Admirals.
· This weekend's matchup will feature a battle of brothers. The Admirals' Steven Whitney will face his older Brother Joe Whitney who is currently the leading scorer for Albany (3pts). The two brothers played a couple of seasons together at Boston College.
· The Admirals are 25-10-1 all-time against the Devil, and were 3-1 in four meetings last season with Albany.
· Albany defeated Adirondack 4-1 at home Monday afternoon (Oct. 14) to improve to 2-1-0-0 on the season.
DEFENSEMAN ALEX GRANT IS THIS WEEK'S ADMIRALS HOUR GUEST
The Admirals Hour, presented by Michael and Son, returns to its normal time slot this week – Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. on 1490-AM and 1490amthegame.com This week, defenseman Alex Grant will join Alex Reed and "The Original Admiral" Dennis McEwen in the studios to take your calls. To join in the conversation, call (757) 490-2750.
THIS WEEKEND'S PROMOTIONS
Friday is Military Night! All military personnel will receive an $11 ticket to the game, when they present their valid Military I.D. to the Scope Box Office. On Friday, the first 1,500 fans will receive Thundersticks! On Saturday, there will be a postgame skate with the Admirals players. Skates will be provided at a first come first serve basis. Fans are encouraged to bring their own skates if possible.
BOOK YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY TODAY
Do you want your child to have a birthday party to remember? Look no further than a party at a Norfolk Admirals game! We have three different packages ranging from a simple message on the video scoreboards, to a fully-catered party with a tour of the Admirals locker room. However, dates are filling up quickly. Book your party today! For more information, visit norfolkadmirals.com or contact Dana DeFilippo at (757) 640-1212 ext. 11.
Goals: Alex Grant (3)
Assists: Charles Sarault (4)
Points: Alex Grant, Charles Sarault (4)
Games: Several (4)
PP goals: Alex Grant (3)
SH goals: Devante Smith-Pelly (2)
+/- Rating: Devante Smith-Pelly (+2)
PIM: Zack Stortini (43)
GAA: Frederik Andersen (0.96)
Spct: Frederik Andersen (.971)
Wins: Frederik Andersen (2)
Losses: John Gibson (2, one loss in shootout)
GPI: Frederik Andersen, John Gibson (2)
Minutes: Frederik Andersen (125:00)
Goals: Joe Whitney (3)
Assists: John Merrill, Scott Timmins (3)
Points: Joe Whitney, Scott Timmins, (5)
Games: Several (3)
PP goals: Joe Whitney (1)
SH goals: Tom Sestito (1) scored on a penalty shot
+/- Rating: Joe Whitney, Scott Timmins (+3)
PIM: Seth Helgeson (17)
GAA: Scott Wedgewood (1.00)
Spct: Scott Wedgewood (.960)
Wins: Keith Kinkaid, Scott Wedgewood (1)
Losses: Keith Kinkaid (1)
GPI: Keith Kinkaid (2)
Minutes: Keith Kinkaid (118:44)
MEDIA INFORMATION & PRACTICE TIMES: Admirals practices are open to the media. The team will be practicing this week at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and at 10:00 a.m. for a morning skate on Friday and Saturday. Players and coaches will be available for interviews at the conclusion of all practice sessions. Note: practice schedules and times are subject to change.
Individual tickets are on sale now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com. Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All regular season games will air live on 1490-AM "The Game" and online at 1490amthegame.com. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com.