Admirals Earn 3 of 4 Points in Weekend Set with Albany
NORFOLK – This past weekend featured a pair of tight checking and low scoring affairs between the Admirals and the Albany Devils. Norfolk struck first on Friday, receiving a first period power play goal by Max Sauve. Later in the period, Albany's Eric Gelinas evened the game with a power play goal of his own to put the score at 1-1 at the end of the first period. Both teams held each other in check for the remainder of regulation and overtime to send the game to be decided in the shootout. Norfolk scored twice in the shootout, while goaltender John Gibson stopped all four shooters faced to secure the 2-1 victory.
On Saturday, Albany scored first and took a 1-0 lead into the first break. The teams continued to battle it out defensively for all of the second and much of the third. Norfolk's Charles Sarault netted the equalizer with nearly six minutes remaining. The game once again was decided in the shootout, only this time Albany came out on top as goaltender Scott Wedgewood turned aside all four Admirals shooters.
STANDINGS UPDATE The Admirals (3-1-0-2, 8pts.) currently sit second in the East Division and sixth overall in the conference.
ADMIRALS’ LOG • The Admirals have earned points in five of their six games played this season.
• The Admirals have been outshot in all six games this season.
• Goaltender John Gibson earned his first professional victory in Friday's 2-1 win over Albany making 31 saves.
• Forward Charles Sarault scored his first professional goal in Saturday's 2-1 shootout loss to Albany.
• 11 of Norfolk's 13 goals scored this season have come from their special teams (8 power play, 3 shorthanded).
• Forward Zach Stortini is expected to play in his 300th AHL game this weekend (currently at 299 GP).
• Goaltender Frederik Andersen made his NHL debut and recorded his first NHL win on Sunday as he helped lead the Anaheim Ducks to a 6-3 victory over the Dallas Stars. Andersen entered the game at the start of the second period in relief of Jonas Hiller. Andersen stopped all 24 shots faced in the win.
• Counting his previous start with the Admirals (Oct. 11) and his two periods played with Anaheim on Sunday, Andersen has not surrendered a goal in five consecutive periods.
SCOUTING REPORT • The Admirals open up a six-game road slate which begins Friday in Adirondack. Rob Bordson is currently riding a three-game goal scoring streak for the Phantoms. Bordson has registered three goals and an assist (4pts) during this stretch. Norfolk is 57-49-4 all-time against the Phantoms.
• On Saturday the Admirals will battle the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in an East Division matchup. The Penguins are undefeated in six games this season, and currently hold the top spot in the division. Norfolk will need to contain Brian Gibbons, who is third overall in the league in scoring, and leads the Penguins in points (11), goals (4), assists (7), and +/- (+9). In Addition, Andrew Ebbett and Brendan Mikkelson enter the weekend riding four-game point scoring streaks. Ebbett has posted six points (2g, 4a) during this current streak, while Mikkelson has six points (1g, 5a).
• Norfolk closes out the weekend set in Hershey on Sunday afternoon. Hershey enters the weekend ranked fourth in the league on the power play at 90.5%. Hershey is led offensively by defenseman Dmitry Orlov who has posted four points (1g, 3a) and boasts a +2 rating in just two games played this season.
NORFOLK LEADERS Goals: Alex Grant Rickard Rakell (3)
Assists: Kevin Gagne (5)
Points: Kevin Gagne, Charles Sarault (5)
Games: Several (6)
PP goals: Alex Grant (3)
SH goals: Devante Smith-Pelly (2)
+/- Rating: Devante Smith-Pelly (+2)
PIM: Zack Stortini (43)
GAA: Frederik Andersen (0.96)
Spct: Frederik Andersen (.971)
Wins: Frederik Andersen (2)
Losses: John Gibson (3, two losses in shootout)
GPI: John Gibson (4)
Minutes: John Gibson (254:46)
ADIRONDACK LEADERS Goals: Rob Bordson (4)
Assists: Jason Akeson, Petr Straka (5)
Points: Bordson, Nick Cousins, Bruno Gervais, Akeson, Straka (5)
Games: Several (6)
PP goals: Brandon Alderson, Mark Alt, Gervais (1)
SH goals: None
+/-: Bordson, Oliver Lauridsen (+3)
PIM: Zack FitzGerald (46)
GAA: Yann Danis (3.07)
Spct: Yann Danis (.865)
Wins: Yann Danis (1)
Losses: Yann Danis (1; 2 SOL)
GPI: Yann Danis (5)
Minutes: Yann Danis (273:16)
WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON LEADERS Goals: Brian Gibbons (4)
Assists: Brian Gibbons (7)
Points: Brian Gibbons (11)
Games: Several (6)
PP goals: Gibbons, Tom Kostopoulos (2)
SH goals: Jayson Megna (2)
+/-: Brian Gibbons (+9)
PIM: Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (26)
GAA: Peter Mannino (2.00)
Spct: Peter Mannino (.933)
Wins: Jeff Deslauriers (5)
Losses: Jeff Deslauriers, Peter Mannino (None)
GPI: Jeff Deslauriers (5)
Minutes: Jeff Deslauriers (299:49)
HERSHEY LEADERS Goals: Derek Whitmore (2)
Assists: Dmitry Orlov (3)
Points: Dmitry Orlov (4)
Games: Several (4)
PP goals: Derek Whitmore, Jeff Taffe (1)
SH goals: Derek Whitmore, Michael Latta (1)
+/-: Dmitry Orlov, Peter LeBlanc, David Kolomatis (+2)
PIM: Michael Latta (16)
GAA: Philipp Grubauer (1.95)
Spct: Philipp Grubauer (.933)
Wins: Philipp Grubauer (1)
Losses: David Leggio (2)
GPI: Grubauer, Leggio (2)
Minutes: Philipp Grubauer (123:22)
"THE ADMIRALS HOUR" The Admirals Hour, presented by Michael and Son, takes place every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. on 1490-AM and 1490amthegame.com . To join in the conversation, call (757) 490-2750.
UPCOMING HOME GAMES & SPECIAL EVENTS November 7: Join a couple of Admirals players and mascot Salty at Y-Not Pizza in Kempsville from 6-7 p.m. for some great food and good times. There will be a street hockey net set up for kids!
The Admirals return home for a pair of games against the Syracuse Crunch on November 8 & 9 at Scope.
TICKETS Individual tickets are on sale now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com. Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 10-packs, or discounted group tickets today! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
BOOK YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY TODAY Do you want your child to have a birthday party to remember? Look no further than a party at a Norfolk Admirals game! We have three different packages ranging from a simple message on the video scoreboards, to a fully-catered party with a tour of the Admirals locker room. However, dates are filling up quickly. Book your party today! For more information, visit norfolkadmirals.com or contact Dana DeFilippo at (757) 640-1212 ext. 11.
MEDIA INFORMATION & PRACTICE TIMES: The Admirals will hit the road Wednesday night. All remaining practices this week will take place on the road.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET All regular season games will air live on 1490-AM "The Game" and online at 1490amthegame.com. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com.