Admirals Gear Up For Another Three-Game Weekend Road Set
NORFOLK – The Norfolk Admirals will embark on their second consecutive three-game weekend road set beginning this Friday. Norfolk went 2-1-0-0 in its three games played on the road this past weekend.
On Friday, the Admirals received a 38-save shutout from John Gibson to start the weekend slate with a 3-0 victory at Adirondack. Peter Holland paced the Admirals offensively posting two goals and an assist.
Despite surrendering the first goal of the game on Saturday, Norfolk rallied for a hard fought 2-1 victory at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to hand the Penguins their first regulation loss of the season. Max Sauve finished the game with a goal and an assist while Rickard Rakell added a power play marker.
Norfolk fell short in its bid to claim all six points on the weekend, as the Hershey Bears picked up a 4-2 victory over the Admirals at the Giant Center on Sunday.
STANDINGS UPDATE The Admirals (5-2-0-2, 12pts.) currently sit second in the East Division and fourth overall in the conference.
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD Fri., Nov. 1 … at Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:00 p.m. EDT
Sat., Nov. 2 … at Bridgeport Sound Tigers (New York Islanders) … 7:00 p.m. EDT
Sun., Nov. 3 … at Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals) … 5:00 p.m. EDT
ADMIRALS’ LOG • The Admirals have earned standings points in seven of their nine games played this season.
• The Admirals have been outshot in all nine games this season.
• Goaltender John Gibson earned his first professional shutout on Friday at Adirondack (38 saves).
• Maxime Sauve registered his first goal as an Admiral on Friday at Adirondack. Sauve finished the three-game weekend with two goals and an assist
• Zach Stortini appeared in his 300th American Hockey League game on Friday. In addition, Stortini currently leads the American Hockey League in penalty minutes (59)
• Defenseman Brett Skinner recorded his 200th career assist in Saturday's game at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
• Norfolk's 2-1 victory at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Saturday was the tenth straight for the Admirals at Mohegan Sun Arena.
• Alex Grant scored his fourth goal of the season on Sunday. All four of the goals he has scored this season have come via the power play.
• Transactions Summary: Norfolk recalled a trio of players from its ECHL affiliate the Utah Grizzlies this past weekend. Forwards Norm Ezekiel and Jamie MacQueen were recalled prior to last Friday's game at Adirondack. On Saturday, goaltender Igor Bobkov also joined the team and made his season debut on Sunday...Peter Holland was recalled by Anaheim on Saturday (10/26), while center Rickard Rakell was recalled by Anaheim on Monday (10/28)...The Admirals agreed to terms on an AHL contract (SPC) with center Dave Steckel on Tuesday (10/29)...Goaltender Aaron Dell was released from his PTO contract and returned to Utah (10/29).
SCOUTING REPORT • The Admirals open up another three-game weekend set on Friday in Albany. Dating back to the first season of Albany Devils Hockey in 2010-11, the Admirals are 16-3-1-2 against the Devils. Sixteen of the previous 22 matchups between the two teams have been decided by one goal, with seven of those decided in overtime or shootout. The two teams traded off shootout wins earlier this season back on October 18 & 19 at Scope...Scott Timmins and Joe Whitney each lead the Devils in points (10) and goals (5).
• On Saturday the Admirals battle Bridgeport for the second time this season. The Sound Tigers edged Norfolk in a shootout back on October 6. Ryan Strome leads Bridgeport in points (6) and assists (5). The Admirals are 41-28-3 all-time against Bridgeport.
• For the second consecutive weekend, the Admirals will close out a weekend slate on a Sunday in Hershey. The Bears continue to be led offensively by Dmitry Orlov's six points (1g, 5a). The Bears outshot the Admirals 38-19 this past Sunday en route to a 4-2 victory.
NORFOLK LEADERS Goals: Alex Grant, Rickard Rakell (4)
Assists: Kevin Gagne (5)
Points: Kevin Gagne, Charles Sarault, Rickard Rakell, Alex Grant (5)
Games: Several (9)
PP goals: Alex Grant (4)
SH goals: Devante Smith-Pelly (2)
+/- Rating: Max Sauve, Mat Clark, Max Friberg (+3)
PIM: Zack Stortini (59)
GAA: Frederik Andersen (0.96)
Spct: Frederik Andersen (.971)
Wins: John Gibson (3)
Losses: John Gibson (3, two losses in shootout)
GPI: John Gibson (6)
Minutes: John Gibson (374:40)
ALBANY LEADERS Goals: Scott Timmins, Joe Whitney (5)
Assists: Reid Boucher, Jon Merrill, Timmins and Whitney (5)
Points: Scott Timmins, Joe Whitney (10)
Games: Several (8)
PP goals: Timmins, Whitney and Merrill (2)
SH goals: Tim Sestito (1)
+/- Rating: Scott Timmins, Joe Whitney (+5)
PIM: Seth Helgeson (19)
GAA: Scott Wedgewood and Keith Kinkaid (1.97)
Spct: Scott Wedgewood (.920)
Wins: Scott Wedgewood (3)
Losses: Keith Kinkaid (2; 1 SOL)
GPI: Wedgewood and Kinkaid (4)
Minutes: Scott Wedgewood (243:39)
BRIDGEPORT LEADERS Goals: Johan Sundstrom, John Persson (2)
Assists: Ryan Strome (5)
Points: Ryan Strome (6)
Games: Several (6)
PP goals: Kirill Kabanov, Joe Diamond, Persson (1)
SH goals: Riley Wetmore (1)
+/- Rating: Brock Nelson, Joe Finley (+2)
PIM: John Persson (15)
GAA: Kenny Reiter (2.74)
Spct: Kenny Reiter (.882)
Wins: Anders Nilsson (1)
Losses: Anders Nilsson (3)
GPI: Anders Nilsson (5)
Minutes: Anders Nilsson (236:45)
HERSHEY LEADERS Goals: Derek Whitmore, Michael Latta, Peter LeBlanc, Jeff Taffe (2)
Assists: Dmitry Orlov (5)
Points: Dmitry Orlov (6)
Games: Several (6)
PP goals: Jeff Taffe (2)
SH goals: Derek Whitmore, Michael Latta (1)
+/- Rating: Dane Byers (+4)
PIM: Michael Latta (25)
GAA: David Leggio (2.64)
Spct: David Leggio (.908)
Wins: Philipp Grubauer, Leggio (1)
Losses: Leggio, Grubaurer (2)
GPI: Grubauer, Leggio (3)
Minutes: Philipp Grubauer (181:52)
"THE ADMIRALS HOUR" The Admirals Hour, presented by Michael and Son, takes place every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. on 1490-AM and 1490amthegame.com . To join in the conversation, call (757) 490-2750.
UPCOMING HOME GAMES & SPECIAL EVENTS November 7: Join a couple of Admirals players and mascot Salty at Y-Not Pizza in Kempsville from 6-7 p.m. for some great food and good times. There will be a street hockey net set up for kids!
Next Home Games: The Admirals return home for a pair of games against the Syracuse Crunch on November 8 & 9 at Scope.
TICKETS Individual tickets are on sale now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com. Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 10-packs, or discounted group tickets today! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
BOOK YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY TODAY Do you want your child to have a birthday party to remember? Look no further than a party at a Norfolk Admirals game! We have three different packages ranging from a simple message on the video scoreboards, to a fully-catered party with a tour of the Admirals locker room. However, dates are filling up quickly. Book your party today! For more information, visit norfolkadmirals.com or contact Dana DeFilippo at (757) 640-1212 ext. 11.
MEDIA INFORMATION & PRACTICE TIMES: The Admirals will hit the road Wednesday night. All remaining practices this week will take place on the road.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET All regular season games will air live on 1490-AM "The Game" and online at 1490amthegame.com. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com.